In this post, we’ll discuss 7 metrics that are fit to help any endeavor, of any size elevate and grow forward.
A wise, old man (Joe Rohde) once told me, “where you look is where you go.” This is true in business and life. And it’s really easy to focus on the wrong things, the numbers that don’t matter or map out to our goals. However, it’s just as easy to focus on positive pursuits.
For every new trend, there seems to be a new metric marketed alongside it. Measure what matters we’re told, and then all the marketers get busy BSing you on what matters. The devil is truly in the details here. What bad metric BS beliefs are you buying these days?
If only we were to increase our Klout score, Facebook or Twitter following, we’d be successful right? If you ever rode one of these trendy waves, like social media metrics, you know exactly how full of mighty brown BS they are, and how they end for businesses large and small.
Often times, these “critical metrics” don’t map out to significant insight either professionally or personally. They can turn out to be a misdirection or part of a great scam or value vacuum.
Many of the “mission critical” metrics also don’t scale down to fit or be relevant to businesses of differing sizes. And no marketer wants to scare-off potential business by sharing the facts. What works for the enterprise may bankrupt smaller endeavors. The .0001 percent positive return may be accepted as a win for a big company, but can be a huge and crippling loss for a small business. Similarly, a million dollars for a 1 percent performance gain, again may be good for the goose but not the gander. So, how do we help everyone here? What metrics matter to everyone?
If where you look is where you go, what exactly are the right things to look at? Well, we’ve come up with a prioritized list of six metrics that will serve you in business and life regardless of the size of the endeavor. These six will serve you now, in the near and long term, both in business and in life.
- Relationships – It’s the people, not the brand, not the project, that are the true golden geese for wealth, abundance and prosperity. Read more
- Revenue – Money matters more than hype and hot air. Read more
- Products - Everyone produces something, hardware, software, paper, TPS reports. Products speak for us in our absence and allow us to scale and grow. Read more
- Meetings – If you’re like me, the more face time you get, the more business you close and the stronger connections you build. Read more
- Fans – People who love you, what you do and want to see you succeed. Facebook fans DO NOT count here. Read more
- Traffic – How many people are given the opportunity to have a moment of focused attention on your presence. Read more
- TEE (Time, Effort, and Energy) – Where are you pouring your TEE? This is a key metric that will help optimize your processes, evaluate systems, elevate your performance and help you decide the best course of action. Read more
We use these metrics in this order for other projects, systems and productivity tools. Give them a try and see if they work for you.